Paul to the Athenians in Acts 17:16-28……
Saints, here we have the story of Paul speaking to the Athenians on Mars Hill. Paul’s motivation came from seeing their practice of idolatry (vs 16) and their constant pursuit of philosophy and the newest doctrine (vs 21). In Athens they worshipped many gods. They even had an altar TO THE UNKNOWN GOD (vs 23) who they worshipped in ignorance. Paul’s heart was broken and he declared unto them this UNKNOWN GOD (vs 24-26), who they did not know personally.
Paul’s desire was that the Athenians come to find the true God.
[Act 17:27 NKJV] 27 “so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us;
Here we see the term grope or “feel” for Him used in our pursuit of the Lord. Have you ever walked into a pitch-black room like a closet or a cave where you can’t see your hand even? You inevitably begin to use your other senses like touch, smell, and hearing to get around. Often in our Christian walk we can become dependent upon our sight only to find God. We look for God in many places: in the church, in people, in the sky, in our Pastor, in our religious acts. Often our worship is with our lips or hands only, and not our hearts.
The Athenians worshipped their gods by building altars and temples in an effort to appease them. God is not impressed with our works. God wants only for us to seek Him with all our heart.
- Begin to do this by searching for Him earnestly every day in His word (the Bible).
- Spend time daily in prayer so that you can talk to, and hear from God.
- Be listening for that silent voice (the Holy Spirit) to lead and guide you.
- Use all your senses to grope for Him in your darkest moments and He promises that He is not far from each one of us (vs 17).
Vs 28 sums up the goal…
[Act 17:28 NKJV] 28 “for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’
- Our “being”, our eternal life, our happiness is found only when we are “in Him.”
- Don’t forget that you are His offspring. He cares for you like His own children.
I pray that you may find Him today.